DECIDE WITH SCENARIO PLANNING WHEN YOU’RE STUCK
I had a discussion recently with a friend, a fellow developer, on the way to move his career forward. Since they were many options to consider, we used a simple decision-making principle to our advantage.
That principle is called Scenario Planning. It is all about generating multiple possible scenarios and eliminating them to get the options that best fit your current strengths and or resources or goals.
We came up with the following options for a working developer ( this method can also be used in other careers too, just be creative! ) ;
SCENARIOS WE CREATED
1. Get a new job locally — non-distant places like Mainland
2. Get a new job locally — distant places like Island
3. Get a new international job — with remote option
4. Do gigs full-time — no daytime job
5. Do gigs part-time — while keeping current job
6. Do gigs part-time — while going for new job
7. Build and grow profitable online side-projects while doing current job.
8. Build and grow profitable online side-projects while going for new job.
9. Build and grow profitable online side-projects and doing gigs while going for new job.
10. Maintain status quo.
After our eliminations, he’s happy taking action now because he has clarity which also gives him speed.
You could do the same too.
*online side-projects: this was specifically our choice.
You can put any business you enjoy doing outside your full-time job here.
Like, Comment and Share to your friends. Have a great life!